Wednesday 20 August 2014

Snapping Shrimp 101

I think for my first proper blog post, I will be kind and ease into our journey with some science fun.

'Science and fun in the same sentence?', you may ask. Absolutely! Science is unbelievably fun and allows you to look at the world in such an amazing light. Let me show you.

An organism that has continuously fascinated me and one which I try to talk about at every possible opportunity is Alpheus heterochaelis, also known as the snapping shrimp. It is fascinating. Unbelievably fascinating. 

This crustacean may be small but it sure packs a punch. No, really. Its giant claws look like boxing gloves, which it positions and fires in a similar fashion to a pistol (hence it also been known as the 'pistol shrimp'). When the shrimp snaps its claws shut, it creates an action known as cavitation. Cavitation is the result of high speeds through water and in this case, this means that the snapping creates a water jet moving at about 110 km/hr, causing the water pressure to briefly change.

What does this mean then? A few things, actually. Firstly, a bubble is created - this is extremely important. When this bubble collapses, a crackling noise is released. The noise is so loud that submarines sometimes use areas with large numbers of snapping shrimp to 'hide' and evade sonar. Secondly, the collapse results in a shock wave so intense that it could melt steel. In the shrimp's case, it is used to stun and kill its prey. Thirdly, (and in my opinion, the most exciting) the temperature and pressure within the bubble at the point of collapse is so incredibly high, that it emits a sudden flash of light. That's right, this tiny sucker can throw balls of light from its claws at more than 4,700 degrees Celsius!

Pretty amazing, huh? I'll leave you with this video of the fascinating creatures. I hope you now love them as much as I do!


~ Ness



2 comments: